MALPASO Dance Company: Fast Facts
By Trevor Miles
KST is very excited to present the U.S. premiere of two new pieces by Havana’s own Malpaso Dance Company, featuring collaborations with two noteworthy artists. Before you come to our World Stage Series event, read some Fast Facts about the group here!
- Malpaso translates to “misstep” or “wrong step”
- Malpaso is at the forefront of Cuban contemporary dance
- Malpaso has 10 members, and has been together since December 2012
- Pittsburgh is the first stop on Malpaso’s 2015 tour
- Malpaso will premiere a new work at KST, Despedida (“farewell” in Spanish) with an original score by Grammy Award-winning composer and pianist Arturo O’Farrill.
- Malpaso made their international debut this year at the Joyce Theater in NYC, the group’s first time performing outside of Cuba
- Trey McIntyre, head choreographer, has studied at the Houston Ballet Academy and North Carolina School of the Arts, and created a second US premier piece for Malpaso, named Under Fire
Here is an excerpt from Malpaso’s piece: “24 Hours and a Dog”:
Join us for complimentary pre-show mixers and a post-show discussion following Saturday’s performance!
Read more about Malpaso here!