Fast Facts: Kenia Ashby
KST welcomes Brazilian singer Kenia Ashby on May 16 as she celebrates famed singer Sergio Mendes. Learn more about Kenia before you see her live this Saturday.
– Kenia was born in Nova Iguaçu, a suburb of Rio de Janeiro
– She studied the piano and learned how to play the guitar by ear at a young age
– Kenia broke out into music in NYC during the 1980’s and 1990’s with pop-accented Brazilian jazz
– Kenia has been featured in jazz festivals all across the northeastern US, including Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Delaware
– She has even performed internationally in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Mexico City, Warsaw, Poland
– Her sound is described as a unique blend of pop, bossa nova, and jazz—deep, sultry and richly diverse
“Kenia is a Brazilian original, building a bridge to the next generation of Brazilian music fans… her voice can suspend time, and it can lead you to think about nothing at all, even if just for a few minuts, and in this day that’s nothing short of miraculous.” – ~Scott Adams, Radio Personality at IHeartMedia Inc.
Kenia’s website features her bio, videos and more. Doors for A Celebration of Sergio Mendes open at 7 PM, and the event features Brazilian appetizers and a cash bar. Click here here for more information on this great evening of music, food, and friends.